Fynbos Villa, being in central Stellenbosch, ensures that the University of Stellenbosch, botanical gardens, Eerste River and Coetzenburg Sports facilities as well as various restaurants and coffee shops are in walking distance from the guest house.
Our spacious lounge area connects with our garden, where guests can enjoy their breakfast inside or outside. Our healthy breakfast has a touch of a Cape Menu, and it is truly traditional to the Western Cape.
Small groups can confer in our dining and sitting rooms. Prior arrangements can be made with the reception office in this regards.
The 14 spacious guest rooms (which include luxury family apartments) are individually furnished and feature the following:
We have two family units available:
Luxury Family unit (can sleep 4-5 people)
There is one private en-suite bedroom with either two full size single beds or a converted king- size bed. Separate kitchenette and spacious lounge area with two extra full size single beds to comfortably fit a family of four. The kitchenette is equipped with:
Family unit (sleeps 4-5 people)
The family unit has two separate bedrooms:
Our luxury family apartments are very popular, and this set-up is ideal for families or friends traveling together. These apartments make it easy to keep your family together in one unit, while still enjoying the privacy and convenience of separate rooms. Our self-catering units in Stellenbosch feature the following:
Primordially, the elegant Victorian Villa was built by the first owner of the house, Mr. de Villiers on 20 April 1904. The construction plans were first drawn up by a certain Mr. JJ Cruywagen. The Victorian architecture was most popular in the Cape during those days and was spreading fast to other regions, Stellenbosch being only one of them. Due to rapid modernization, this kind of architecture is very rare to see and only a few buildings still resemble it. Later families who also previously owned the villas were Du Plessis, Kock, Cilliers and Barnard.
Today it is owned by Jakob and Lien Dekker. They are the owners for more than two decades and established the lovely Fynbos Villa Guest House.
Stellenbosch is affectionately known as “Eikestad” – town of oaks, as these trees beautify the streets of Stellenbosch.
The documented history of Stellenbosch dates back to 1697 when its name was given to a small island on the Eeste River by Simon van der stel, the then commander of the Cape. It can, however, be assumed that prior to its official naming, The Stellenbosch surrounds were home to various indigenous communities.
The Eeste River, which today still ripples through Stellenbosch, was so named as this happened to be the first (‘Eerste’) river the Dutch settlers came upon after leaving their Cape Town base.